Globalstar GSP-1700 Satellite Phone Rental
- Brand: Globalstar
- Product Code: Globalstar GSP-1700 Sat Phone Rental
- Availability: In Stock
The Globalstar Satellite Phone Rental Kits Include:
- Free Activation
- Free Inbound Text Messaging
- Free Technical Support
- USA Phone Number
- Large Coverage Area
- Globalstar Satellite Phone
- 1 Battery
- AC Charger
- User's Instructions
- Carrying Case
How does the rental process work?
- Choose your rental duration (in weeks + extra days). Your rental starts on the day the phone is received, and the last day is the day you give it back to FEDEX.
- Choose your airtime package. If you use more than you prepaid, don't worry, the phone will keep working. We will bill you for what you use over your prepaid airtime at $1.49/minute. Unlimited satellite phone airtime usage plans can also be chosen, at a cost of $4.95/day. This option is only available on Globalstar phones.
- Choose any optional accessories. The one time price shown is for the entire rental period.
- If you want damage insurance, check the box. Loss, theft or confiscation is not coverd.
- Choose your shipping method. Fedex 2nd day is our standard shipping method.
- Choose the Return Shipping Label. This is a required item.
- Select the date you wish to receive the phone, at least one day prior to your departure date.
- Let us know if you have any special requirements for your satellite phone rental.
- Add your order to the Cart to see your total, and Check out normally.
- We will Fedex the phone to arrive at the delivery address on the date specified.
- When you finish with the phone, put it back in the box it came in, and stick on the return label. Give the box to FEDEX or drop it in a drop box.
- We will bill you for the airtime you use (in excess of what was purchased), and any extra days.
- That's all there is to it!
Globalstar recognizes two calling areas. They are the Home Calling Area , and everywhere else. Calls to or from areas outside of the home calling area are billed at $2.99/minute and are not included in any pre-purchased airtime packages, including Unlimited plans. Globalcom recommends that you consider an Iridium Sat Phone Rental if you will be traveling outside of the Globalstar Home Calling area.
Frequently Asked Questions (Satellite Phone Rental FAQ)
Question: Will this phone work where I'm going?
Answer: Globalstar satellite phones work in many places around the world, as long as you have an open clear view of the sky. Check out the Globalstar Coverage Map. If your location is not depicted in dark Orange, the phone will not work there. The yellow areas have very weak coverage, and the phone will most likely not work there. Think about an iridium phone if Globalstar coverage is not available in the area you need service. Note: You can not take this phone to Cuba, North Korea or India without government permission.
Question: Will this phone work inside a boat/car/airplane/house?
Answer: No. The satellite phone antenna must have a direct line of sight to the satellite. You can connect an external antenna if needed.
Question: When does the rental period start and end?
Answer: The rental starts on the day you receive the phone, and ends on the day you give it back to FEDEX for return shipment.
Question: How long will the battery last?
Answer: It will last about 30 hours in standby mode (on but not talking on it). It will last for about 2 hours of talk time.
Question: Are incoming calls free?
Answer: Yes, they are free to the sat phone, but the caller will be charged by their local phone company for the call to a USA number. Another option would be to have your callers send a free text message to the sat phone instead.
Question: Can I send and receive text messages with a satellite phone?
Answer: You can receive, but not send text messages with the Globalstar rental phone. Outbound text messages are not supported. If you need to send text messages, we recommend an Iridium Sat Phone Rental.
Question: Can I connect to the internet with a satellite phone.
Answer: Yes, but is so slow, about 1/20th of dial-up speed, that it is mostly useless. You need a data kit to do this.
Technical Specifications for Globalstar GSP-1700 Rental Phones:
- Compact size: 5.3"H x 2.2"W x 1.5"D
- Lightweight: 7.05 ounces
- Complete Kit Weight 465g (1.5 lbs) (phone, 1 batteries, wall charger, canvas bag)
- Standby time: Up to 30 hours
- Talk time: Up to 2 hours
- Backlit color display optimized for outdoor daytime viewing
- Lighted keypad
Globalstar Coverage Map (Orange = Coverage. Yellow = Very Very Weak Signal)
Globalstar Home Calling Area Map